Creating numbered lists
To create numbered lists, follow these steps:
1. Type your list, and then select it.
2. Do one of the following:
- On the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, click Bullets or Numbering.
- You can find different bullet styles and numbering formats by clicking the arrow next to
Bullets or Numbering on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group.
- You can move an entire list to the left or the right. Click a bullet or number in the list, and drag it to a new location. The entire list moves as you drag. The numbering levels do not change.
- You can find different bullet styles and numbering formats by clicking the arrow next to Bullets or Numbering on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group.
- Click the Numbering on the popup menu:
- Type 1. to create a numbered list or * to create a bulleted list. Then press Spacebar or Tab. Word automatically formats the entry as a list item and displays the AutoCorrect Options button (for more details see Create lists with AutoFormat or turn it off) so that you can undo or stop automatic numbering.
3. To add additional numbered items to your list, move the insertion point to the end of a line formatted with a number and press Enter.
4. Move the insertion point to the end of the last numbered item in your list. Press Enter and then Del, or press Enter and click the Numbering button on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, to turn off the number formatting.
Note: more details are available in the Numbered lists section in the Work with bulleted, numbered and multi-level lists lesson of the Create basic documents free course. See also Customizing numbered lists.
See also this tip in French: Comment créer des listes numérotées ou listes à puces.