How to create captions for equations
To add cations for equations in your document, do the following:
1. When you type an equation (see how to create different equations for more details), in the end of it, type the symbol Hash (#) and then number in format that you prefer (usually in the round brackets, in parentheses).
2. Press Enter.
Word automatically aligns the equation with the center and the number after the character # positions with the right justify:
To add automatically updated numbering (captions):
3. Position anywhere in the document, not in the equation.
4. On the Reference tab, in the Captions group, click the Insert Caption button:
5. In the Caption dialog box:
- In the Label drop-down list, select Equation,
- Check the Exclude label from caption checkbox:
- If it is necessary, change the numbering by clicking the Numbering... button:
In the Caption Numbering dialog box:
- Select the numbering Format,
- If it is necessary, check the Include chapter number checkbox and select
the level of you heading and a separator.
- If it is necessary, add a new label by clicking the New label... button.
Note: It is possible to add parentheses in the caption for easier formatting with equation numbering:
To add the parentheses to the number, do the following:
- Click the New Label... button and insert an opening parenthesis and click
- After adding a number in the format that you prefer (for example with heading 2 and
separator period), type space and a closing parenthesis:
- Click the New Label... button and insert an opening parenthesis and click OK:
6. Select the added caption, cut it and paste instead of the number that you added after the symbol # in the equation:
- To cut a selected text, click Ctrl+X or on the Home tab, in the Clipboard
group, click the Cut button:
- To paste a cut text, click Ctrl+V or on the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click the Paste button.
- To update the pasted number, right-click on it and select Update Field in the popup
You can update all numbers automatically by selecting all text (by clicking Ctrl+A or by any other method) and right-clicking on any of the numbers and selecting Update Field in the popup menu.