Sorting a table
To sort a table, follow these steps:
1. Click on the table to select it.
2. Under Table Tools, on the Layout tab, in the Data group, choose the Sort button:
3. In the Sort dialog box:
- In the Sort by area, set up the first sort:
- Choose the appropriate column heading in the left drop-down list. If the table doesn't have column headings, the drop-down list shows Column 1, Column 2, and so on.
- In the Type drop-down list, choose the type of sort:
- Text to sort normally
- Number to sort by numbers
- Date to sort by dates and times.
- In the Using drop-down list, make sure the Paragraphs option is selected.
- On the right side:
- Select the Ascending option button if you want an ascending sort (A to Z, low numbers to high, early dates and times to later ones)
- Select the Descending option button if you want a reverse sort.
- In the upper Then by area, set up the second sort using the same techniques.
- In the lower Then by area, set up the third sort using the same techniques.
- In the My list has area, make sure the Header row option button is selected if your table has a header row. If not, select the No header row option button.
- If you need to make the sort case-sensitive, so that lowercase letters appear before their uppercase
equivalents, click the Options... button to display the Sort Options dialog window:
Select the Case sensitive checkbox, and then click the OK button to close the dialog window.
See also this tip in French: Comment trier une table.