Splitting text strings without using formulas
To do this, follow the next steps:
1. Select cells with the text that should be split.
2. On the Data tab, in the Data Tools group, click Text to Columns button:
3. In the Convert Text to Columns Wizard - Step 1 of 3 dialog box, select the Delimited options, then click Next >:
4. In the Convert Text to Columns Wizard - Step 2 of 3 dialog box:
- In the Delimiters group, choose the correct delimiter for the data (by default the Tab
delimiter is used, but often the text delimited by commas or space):
Note: Even if you are pretty sure about the delimiter, you need to change it if you see incorrect data in the Data preview area.
- Click the Next > button.
5. In the Convert Text to Columns Wizard - Step 3 of 3 dialog box:
- Select each column and set the Data Format if needed:
- You can skip this step and format columns after converting.
- You can click the Advanced... button to select the correct Decimal separator and
Thousands separator (see
how to change used by default decimal symbol and digit grouping symbol):
- You can skip some columns for converting by selecting the Do not import column (skip) in the Column data format group.
- Click the Finish.
Excel converts the text you selected: