Creating Master and Scrolled Detail charts
To create charts like these (sales data for the week for three months), do the following:
Step I: Create a chart with a scroll bar
Step II: Create a chart with total data
1. Select the data (in this example, B2:C94).
2. On the Insert tab, in the Charts group, click the Insert Line or Area Chart button:
3. Move the chart so that it was placed under the chart with a scroll bar.
Step III: Add additional data
1. Add the next column to your data (in this example, C3:C94) and enter the following formula in the first cell:
= IF (AND (ROW (B3) >= $E$2 + ROW ($B$2), ROW (B3) - $E$2 < 7 + ROW ($B$2)), C3, 0).
2. Copy this formula down to the other cells.
Step IV: Add a shaded box on the chart with a total data
1. Select the additional data (in this example, D2:D94), press Ctrl+C to copy the range. Select the bottom chart and press Ctrl+V to paste a new series to the chart:
2. Select the second data series and do one of the following:
- On the Chart Design tab, in the Type group, click the Change Chart Type
- Right-click on the selection and select Change Series Chart Type... in the popup menu:
3. In the Change Chart Type dialog box, choose the Area chart type for Series2:
4. Click the area chart to select the second series. On the Chart Format tab, in the Shape Styles group, choose Shape Fill and select a color to make the shaded box:
See also this tip in French: Comment créer des graphiques de défilement principal et détaillés.