Price, sum, amount and other numbers in words
To insert the number or amount in words, follow the next steps:
1. Place the cursor where you want to insert the number or amount in words.
2. To add a field in your document, do one of the following:
- On the Insert tab, in the Text group, click the Quick Parts button and then
In the Field dialog box, click the Field Codes button in the left bottom corner:
Enter the field text in Field codes and then click OK:
- Click Ctrl+F9 to insert the curly brackets, then enter the field text between them:
In this example,
- =1290 is an amount which will be displayed in words,
- \*CardText is a format switch that shows results as cardinal text. The result is
formatted in lowercase letters unless you add a format switch to specify a different
Note: This switch can be used with amount:
- less than 1 000 000 (one million)
- positive (not negative)
- maybe fractional, but the result will be rounded (for example, the result of the transfer of 51.17 - 51).
You can use other switches, for example:
- \*Caps capitalizes the first letter of each word.
- \*FirstCap capitalizes the first letter of the first word.
- \*Upper capitalizes all letters.
- \*Lower capitalizes none of the results; all letters are lowercase.
- \*Roman displays results as Roman numerals:
You can use other fields or formulas in your field, for example:
See also this tip in French: Prix, somme, montant et autres nombres en lettres.