How to create a new custom dictionary in Word
Word offers the possibility to create a custom dictionary or even several custom dictionaries.
To create a custom dictionary, do the following:
1. On the File tab, click Options:
2. In the Word Options dialog box, on the Proofing tab, under When correcting spelling in Microsoft Office programs, click the Custom Dictionaries... button:
3. In the Custom Dictionaries dialog box, select any of the dictionaries and then click the New... button:
- If you select the RoamingCustom.dic, you will create an empty custom dictionary.
If you select any other dictionary (not default), you will create a copy of the selected dictionary.
- You can specify the language, for which you will create a new custom dictionary (optionally).
4. In the Create Custom Dictionary dialog box, type the name of the new custom dictionary and click the Save button:
The new custom dictionary is created and now you can add all necessary words (see how to add a word to the custom dictionary):
- You can copy a custom dictionary to any other place such as another PC, laptop, or you can share it with anybody else.
- To delete a custom dictionary, just select it in the Custom Dictionaries dialog box and click the Remove button. This action doesn’t delete the file in the system!