Create lists with AutoFormat or turn it off
Do one of:
- At the beginning of a paragraph, type a number, a separator, and then a space or tab. For example, type 1. and then a space or press Tab. Word automatically changes the paragraph into part of a numbered list:
- At the beginning of a paragraph, type an asterisk (*) and a space or tab. Word automatically changes the asterisk to a bullet and applies a hanging indent to the paragraph. You can also type a hyphen (-) and a tab at the beginning of a paragraph to create a "bulleted" list that uses hyphens as the bullets:
You can turn off AutoFormat creation of numbered and bulleted lists. Follow these steps:
1. Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Word Options.
2. Choose the Proofing tab, and then click the AutoCorrect Options button:
3. In the AutoCorrect dialog box, choose the AutoFormat As You Type tab, clear the Automatic Bulleted Lists check box and the Automatic Numbered Lists check box: