Free Preview of Any XLSX File
As for me, I would cruelly fire for the violation of this easy rule, but I have nobody to fire, I am a freelancer. If it is a virus, all further explanations do not make sense. If there is no virus, but you have to open a file of XLSX format and see, what is stored there, try Recovery Toolbox for Excel. This option does not require the presence of Microsoft Excel itself. It only needs the source XLSX file and Recovery Toolbox for Excel software installed, and just a bit of luck.
Total preview: Recovery Toolbox for Excel strikes back
Microsoft Excel has some inbuilt options of data preview from corrupted XLSX files. It is supposed that you should restore them first. It’s a pity that these options are not genuinely efficient, like everything in Microsoft, but they exist.
- Open the Microsoft Excel application and choose the File tab
- Select the Open tab
- Use the Browse button to see the window of file selection
- Select a file for preview
- Press an arrow near the Open button and choose the following option Open and recover
If Microsoft Excel somehow could not open an XLSX file or recover it, I would advise trying Recovery Toolbox for Excel. The application is free, in case you need only to preview the contents of the damaged file, without any need to save restored contents.
By the way, it supports any version of *.xlsx file. It does not even need the presence of Excel installed. I think it is the easiest and the most reliable option to open an unopenable item and avoid extra charges, a demo version of Recovery Toolbox for Excel is published on the developer’s website. When it is needed, the same program can be activated to switch ON new options, in particular, a possibility to save recovered documents. The program works as follows:
- Download Recovery Toolbox for Excel from the developer’s website using this link: https://excel.recoverytoolbox.com/.
- Install the program by a double click on the downloaded file.
- Launch the software using the shortcut created on the desktop at installation.
- Choose the needed file of XLSX format.
- Start the processing of the selected XLSX file.
- After it stops, Recovery Toolbox for Excel starts the previewing mode that allows seeing the contents of the selected XSLX file.
- If you need to save data, register the program, it requires payment, starting from $27.
Why Do You Need It?
The software can be useful for those who are not going to work with the document anymore. Maybe these users only need to look at the data that is not accessible typically. They need to install Recovery Toolbox for Excel on a workstation (or laptop), working under ОС Windows. It is not necessary to download the software from this exact computer. It can quickly transfer an XLSX file on a flash disk. It is possible because Recovery Toolbox for Excel works offline; there is no need to connect it to the Internet.
By the way, what do you keep in that Excel file that you want to open for preview? I believe competitors are also curious to know. And they can see if you try to crack the document using a script found in the darknet. Looking for a free solution and do not want to pay? But Recovery Toolbox for Excel is what you expect. The answer has only one restriction regarding the save of recovered data.
As of everything else, I would choose this program. Its developer offers all required safety guarantees. At work, Recovery Toolbox for Excel does not generate outgoing traffic. It is easy to check either from within the Windows Shell environment or by third-party tools. If you are still not convinced, do it yourself and get to know more. If it does not help, remove it, and look for another solution. Naturally, different services of data recovery use various engines of data processing. It may cause the difference of preview and recovery for MS Excel files. Do not forget the essential: no data recovery service can guarantee 100% of success, it can be achieved by backup only.
Online Recovery Service for Excel, Advantages, and Disadvantages
Recovery Toolbox for Excel installation is allowed on a Windows computer only. At the same time, there is possible to use this service on other devices, such as tablets and even mobile phones (Android, iOS). But, remember about two disadvantages of this method that allows recovering data online:
- A third party can access data because you upload an XLSX file yourself to a remote server for analysis.
- The usage of remote service requires payment. There is no way to see an XLSX file for free.
At the same time, the use of online service is cheaper than the full license of Recovery Toolbox for Excel. The developer uses the same algorithms for corrupted files recovery in both cases, no matter online or offline, their efficiency will be similar. But, the offline version of Recovery Toolbox for Excel can be used on a Windows computer only, and the online server of the application developer accepts documents from any device. You only need to have an Internet connection.
Recovery of Excel tables online works as follows:
- Follow this link https://excel.recoverytoolbox.com/online/.
- Click the button Download file and choose a file of XLSX format on a local HDD.
- Provide a valid email address.
- Provide CAPTCHA.
- Go to the next step by clicking the Next button.
- Pay for the recovery service.
- Download a recovered document in Microsoft Excel and keep on working with it.
The function of XLSX file recovery supports any version of the electronic table: 2007/2010/2013/2016/2019. The engine of information recovery automatically selects the needed one and applies it to the uploaded document.
Recovery of XLSX files is performed online, without using the local computer resources. It can be useful for you because the online service is cheaper and can be used from any device. Its disadvantage is that the data can be intercepted in theory. Everything that is intercepted will be brought up against you.
I would not be preoccupied too much regarding the possibility of interception. All data is forwarded through a protected channel. Moreover, maybe it is possible to deal with the developer and send him a file, encrypted using another method that you trust? It is not difficult to protect your personal data. If you want it, you can do it. A fair trade-off between security requirements and their implementation issues is possible.
By the way, do you want to avoid similar issues in the future? In this case, do not forget about backup. You need to back up the most important documents. In this case, you do not need any data recovery service.