Draw a flowchart in Excel
However, if you want to use different shapes and a complex topology it is better to create your own flowchart.
Flow charts usually define specific symbols for different entities, e.g.:
- Rectangle with round corners is used for starting and terminating states
- Rectangle with straight corners is used for process stages
- Parallelogram is used for data input/output illustration
- Diamond is used for conditional branching
- Arrow is used to show the process flow
All these and other useful visual elements you can find in the Shapes dropdown list of the Insert tab in Excel.
1. On the Insert tab, in the Illustrations group, select Shapes:
2. On the Shapes list, in the Flowchart group, choose the item that you prefer:
3. To add text in the selected shape, just double-click in it and enter the text.
4. To connect shapes, do the following:
- On the Insert tab, in the Illustrations group, click on the Shapes list and
then select one of the connectors in the Lines group:
- Select the beginning point in a border of the first shape and the ending point in a border of the
See also this tip in French: Comment créer un organigramme des opérations dans Excel.