Creating Master and Scrolled Detail Charts
To create charts like these (sales data for the week for 3 months), do the following:
Step I: Create a chart with a scroll bar (see Creating a Scrolling Chart).
Step II: Create a chart with a total data:
- Select the data (in this example, B5:C96).
- On the Insert ribbon, in the Charts group, choose Line:
Choose the Line chart type, delete the legend.
- Move the chart so that it was placed under the chart with a scroll bar.
Step III: Add an additional data:
- Add the next column to your data (in this example, C4:C95) and enter the following
formula in the first cell:
= IF (AND (ROW (B5) >= $E$1 + 4, ROW (B5) - $E$1 < 7 + 4), C5, 0).
- Copy this formula down to the other cells.
Step IV: Add a shaded box on the chart with a total data.
- Select the range of the additional data (in this example, D5:D96), press Ctrl+C to copy the range. Select the bottom chart and press Ctrl+V to paste a new series to the chart.
- Select the second data series and do one of the following:
- Under Chart Tools, on the Design tab, in the Type group, choose
Change Chart Type:
- Right-click and choose Change Series Chart Types... in the popup menu:
- Under Chart Tools, on the Design tab, in the Type group, choose Change Chart Type:
- In the Change Chart Type dialog box, choose the Area chart type for Series2:
- Click the area chart to select the second series. Under Chart Tools, on the Format
tab, in the Shape Styles group, choose Shape Fill and select a color to make the