How to freeze columns and rows
To freeze row or column headings (or both), follow these steps:
1. On the worksheet, do one of the following:
- To lock rows, select the row below where you want the split to appear.
- To lock columns, select the column to the right of where you want the split to appear.
- To lock both rows and columns, click the cell below and to the right of where you want the split to appear.
2. On the View tab, in the Window group, click Freeze Panes, and then click the option that you want.
You might want to experiment on a large worksheet. Freeze the column and row headings, and then use the keyboard or the mouse to move around in the worksheet. As you do, the row and/or column headings remain locked in their positions. This enables you to view data in other parts of the worksheet without losing track of what that data represents.
When you freeze panes, the Freeze Panes option changes to Unfreeze Panes so that you can unlock frozen rows or columns.