How to add Dividers to the chart
For example, you want to demonstrate the changes in sales due to the company policy during 2004 - 2005 and 2008 - 2009:
If you have next data:
To create one chart with separator, follow these steps:
1. Insert a blank row between separated parts of chart (in this example - A13).
2. Select the data cells (in this example A4:B22).
3. On the Insert tab, in the Charts group, choose the Column button:
Choose Clustered Column:
4. Right-click one of the years along the category axis. In the popup menu select Format Axis...:
In the Format Axis dialog box:
- Choose the Axis Options tab, under the Axis Type label, click the field Text axis (to hide the period between 2006 and 2008):
- Choose the Number tab, change the field Format Code (in example to show only years) and click the Add button:
5. In the source data (A4:B20) clear the duplicate years. As you clear an entry in the worksheet, the corresponding entry along the chart axis disappears.
You can then make any other adjustments to get the look you desire.
6. Select the chart. On the Insert tab, in the Illustrations group, choose the type of object what you want to add in the chart: