Adding error bars
Error bars are appropriate only for area, bar, column, line, and XY charts.
In the popup menu choose the Format Data Series....
Click the Y Error Bars tab in the Format Data Series dialog box to display the error bars options.
A data series in an XY chart can have error bars for both the X values and Y values.
Excel enables you to specify several types of error bars:
- Fixed value: The error bars are fixed by an amount that you specify.
- Percentage: The error bars are a percentage of each value.
- Standard Deviation(s): The error bars are in the number of standarddeviation units that you specify. (Excel calculates the standard deviation of the data series.)
- Standard Error: The error bars are one standard error unit. (Excel calculates the standard error of the data series.)
- Custom: You set the error bar units for the upper or lower error bars. You can enter either a value or a range reference that holds the error values that you want to plot as error bars.