How to use abbreviations for fast and error-free typing of organization and person names
To assign an abbreviation or sequence of characters to the fragment of text, follow these steps:
1. On the File tab, click the Options button:
2. In the Word Options dialog box, on the Proofing tab, click the AutoCorrect Options... button:
3. In the AutoCorrect dialog box, type your text in the Replace text as you type group (E.g. name of text is JSM and text is Jonathan Smith from Bank of America):
The length of an AutoCorrect entry is limited only by the available memory. After entering or selecting an AutoCorrect entry, you must give it a unique name.
- Don't use a common word to name an AutoCorrect entry unless you alter that word.
For example, don't name an entry Mr. Instead, precede it with an asterisk or other character to make it unique, such as *Mr. When you don’t make the word unique, Word inserts the AutoCorrect entry whenever you type that word, whether you want it to or not. It will require too much effort to revert each auto correction if you have chosen a common word.
4. Click Add.
NOTE: Word shares your AutoCorrect list with other Office applications. Any AutoCorrect entries you created in Word will also work in Excel or Outlook.
To rename or delete an AutoCorrect entry, follow these steps:
1. Open the AutoCorrect dialog box.
2. Do one of the following:
- To change the text of an AutoCorrect entry, select the AutoCorrect entry name in the list, change the text and then click the Replace button:
- To change the name of an AutoCorrect entry, select the AutoCorrect entry name in the list and then click Delete. Type a new name in the Replace box, and click Add.
- To delete an AutoCorrect entry, select the entry you want to remove and click Delete.
If you don't really need this AutoCorrect in order to convert the text back to your original typing, just press Ctrl+Z to undo the change.
Permission is granted for article quotations from OfficeToolTips, provided the direct link to the source articlehttp://www.officetooltips.com/word 2016/tips/how to use abbreviations for fast and error-free typing of organization and person names.html