Personalized Mail Merge Campaigns for Outlook
Major Mail Merge Features
- Import mail merge fields and email addresses for emailing sessions from any source, such as: Outlook Contacts, distribution lists or external CSV files;
- Quickly customize and merge email messages based on the name, address, phone or any other field of the imported contacts or records;
- Easily use our powerful mail merge engine to define email text scenarios in order to automatically compose personalised email contentfor each message;
- Unlike other products, Easy Mail Merge can handle unlimited logical cases for each mail merge variable;
- Mail merge send options let you schedule mail merge emails, choose how many emails to be sent at once and select delay periods between outgoing messages;
- Manage mail merge sessions and save them for later use;
- Designed as an Outlook add-in, Easy Mail Merge offers a seamless integration with Microsoft Outlook.
Import mail merge fields from Outlook Contacts, Outlook distribution lists or CSV files
The data import wizard is automatically started when you click the "Start Session" button from the main Easy Mail Merge toolbar of Outlook. Using the mail merge wizard, you can select from where to import the email addresses and related information for the mail merge session. You can choose to import:
- Outlook distribution lists;
- Outlook Contacts;
- Fields data from an external CSV file;
- A previously created mail merge session.
For example, if you selected to import mail merge fields from Outlook distribution lists, the session wizard will start searching your Outlook data files for existing distribution lists. Depending on how many items it finds, the process can take up to several minutes.
When Easy Mail Merge finished searching for distribution lists, it shall display a list with the items it found. The items list has three columns:
- Name: it shows the name of your Outlook distribution list;
- Items: it shows the amount of contacts recorded within the related distribution list;
- Folder: it shows the Contacts folder to which the distribution list belongs.
You can choose to import data from one or more distribution lists. When you are done selecting the lists to be imported, click on the "Next" button.
The following screenshot shows the Outlook distribution lists found by Easy Mail Merge during a sample mail merge session:
As soon as the contacts import process is done, Easy Mail Merge will display a list with all imported contacts:
If you wish to further select the receivers of the personalised mail merge session, you can now manually select or deselect members, one by one. At the bottom of the contacts list, you will notice a counter displaying the total number of imported contacts and the total number of selected contacts. By default, all imported contacts are selected. When you are done choosing the session members, click on the "Next" button. You have now imported the desired Outlook distribution lists into the mail merge session and you are now ready to start composing the message itself.
Editing the Mail Merge Message
Easy Mail Merge is using the Microsoft Outlook email editor settings to compose emails. Depending on your Outlook settings, the mail merge wizard will launch the Outlook internal email editor or the MS-Word email editor. Easy Mail Merge functions fine with both of them.
Because it uses Outlook to compose emails, Easy Mail Merge allows you to take advantage of any Outlook feature designed for composing emails. Using the Outlook options, you can set the personalised emails as plain text, rich text or HTML messages. You can attach files to the personalised emails, you can set the message priority, sender's account, reply-to address or you can do anything else that can be done via the Outlook message editor.
You can customize the email content by inserting regular text, variable text or text created via text scenarios into the outgoing personalised emails. For details on other email compose functions, please see the Outlook help menu by pressing the F1 key while viewing the main Outlook window.
- Regular text is static text that can be typed into an email message, just like when you are sending a regular Outlook email;
- Variable text is retrieved from the imported data fields. This text can be placed within the message body or within the subject line. When Easy Mail Merge will compose the outgoing emails, it shall automatically customize the message and replace the variable fields with the text related to the imported data;
- Logical conditions or text scenarios can be used for inserting regular or variable text, depending on a logical scenario that you created.
Merging Field Values
Depending on the data source you selected, Easy Mail Merge imported one or more data fields for your mail merge session. By default, Easy Mail Merge imports ONLY those data columns that contain valid field values on every imported member (line). For example, if you imported Outlook Contacts and only a few of them have a secondary phone number, then the secondary phone number field will not be displayed as a mail merge field.
The variable text fields are displayed within a drop-down list located on the Easy Mail Merge toolbar:
Once you selected a field name, focus the text prompter in the position where you want to insert the text and then click on the "Insert" button located nearby the drop-down list: you can insert the variable text into the email body content or into the subject line. When the variable text is inserted, you will notice a "tag"-like text inserted into the email message. Text variables are always placed between the dollar - $ - character. If you need to insert the $ character as a regular text, simply double type it (typing $$ will result into a single $ inserted into the generated email).